About MapsFox – an adware-based application
MapsFox is a dubious computer infection determined as a potentially unwanted program. This nasty threat has been created by cyber crooks to spread spam online and make illegal profit. The main purpose of this dubious threat is show misleading advertisements on the infected computer to redirect the web traffic. This dubious threat can be classified as an adware infection due to its ads showing nature. This cunning malware infection is a silent intruder that can easily attack your system without permission. It may get installed on your system and get added to your browser. MapsFox virus can do several malicious modifications to your main browser to keep showing ads on your system. It will frequently redirect your browser on unknown and dubious websites to earn commission. It may also bring other harmful threats on your computer.
MapsFox virus mostly get spread through bundled free third party software and applications. It can also get distributed via spam emails, fake browser extensions, shareware, malicious websites, misleading advertisements and bogus updates. Once installed on your computer, it can block your firewall security and disable your anti-virus applications. Apart from this, it may also inject its codes to the registry files for its automatic update. MapsFox virus can show lots of fake and misleading ads on your browser and also slow down your Internet speed. Your browser will get crashed very often due to loads of unwanted pop-up ads. It may also track your browsing details to gather your personal information. It can steal your banking information and send to hackers. It can risk your privacy and computer security. It is advised to immediately remove MapsFox virus from the infected PC.
Steps To Remove MapsFox From PC
To remove MapsFox from your infected computer, you have to completely remove all the hidden files and left overs associated with this infection. Keep in mind that it may have distributed its copies at different locations on your system under different names. It could be quite time taking to detect those files manually, so you can try Automatic Malware Scanner to see if it can detect those threats for you. Well, before starting the removal process users must know that manual option is quite tricky and time consuming, hence users will need essential technical expertise in order to remove MapsFox using manual method. Moreover any kind of mistake or technical complication will land the users in even worst circumstances and can make your system completely unusable. However, if you have good technical skills then follow the bellow methods carefully in order to get rid of MapsFox manually from your Windows PC.
Part 1 – Start Your Computer in Safe Mode With Networking
- Click on “Start” menu and select “Restart” button.
- Keep pressing “F8 button” when your PC start booting.
- You will see “Advance boot menu” on your computer screen.
- Chose “Safe Mode With Networking” Option and press Enter button.
- Click on “Start” menu, press “Shift key” and click on “Restart” button.
- Select “Troubleshoot” option from the screen.
- Now click on the “Advanced” Options.
- Choose the “Startup Settings” option.
- Select “Enable Safe Mode option” and click Restart button.
- Press “F5 button” to Enable “Safe Mode With Networking” option.
Part 2 – Stop MapsFox Related Process From Task Manager
- Press “ALT+Ctrl+Del” buttons simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Choose Windows Task manager option from screen.
- Select the malicious process and click on End Task button.
Part 3 – Remove MapsFox From Control Panel
- Go the Start menu on your computer and select Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove programs option.
- Find and remove unwanted program from your PC.
- From Start menu open Control Panel
- Select Uninstall a programs option from the Programs menu.
- Finally select and remove unwanted program from your system.
- Press Win+R button to open Run Box on your computer.
- Type “control panel” in Run window and hit Enter button to open Control Panel
- Right-click MapsFox and other unwanted programs and click Uninstall option to remove it completely.
- Press the start button and select Settings option.
- Choose system option there & then Click on Apps and Features option.
- Find and remove unwanted program from your PC.
Part 4 – Remove MapsFox From Browser
From Google Chrome
- First of all launch up Google Chrome browser in your PC.
- Click on great icon from top right corner of your browser to open Chrome menu.
- Now click on the Tools option.
- Go to Extension and select all unwanted extension including MapsFox.
- Finally click on trash bin icon to remove MapsFox from Google Chrome.
From Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer browser in your PC.
- Press Alt+T buttons, or Click on Gear Icon from the right-top corner to open Tools.
- Now click on Manage Add-ons option.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions tab.
- Find MapsFox related add-ons and Click Disable.
- Click More information button.
- Finally click on Remove button.
From Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox browser in your PC.
- Click on the gear icon from top right corner to open browser menu.
- Select Add-ons. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.
- In the Add-ons Manager tab, choose the Extensions or Appearance panel.
- Select MapsFox add-on that you want to remove.
- Click the Remove button.
- Click Restart now if it pops up appear on your system screen.
From Microsoft Edge
Well, Microsoft Edge does not have extensions hence you will need to reset your browser homepage in order to remove MapsFox virus from your Edge browser.
- First of all open Microsoft Edge browser in your PC.
- Click on More (…) icon from top right corner and go to Settings.
- Now select A specific page or pages from under the Open option.
- Select Custom option and enter the URL of the page that you wish set as your browser homepage.
Part 5 – Remove MapsFox From Registry Editor
- Open Run window by pressing Win + R keys together.
- Type “regedit” and click OK
- Find and delete all related registry files of MapsFox.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\msmpeng.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\msseces.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect” = ’0′
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings “WarnOnHTTPSToHTTPRedirect” = ’0′
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore “DisableSR ” = ’1′
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ekrn.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\msascui.exe “Debugger” = ‘svchost.exe’
Optional : Reset Your Browser Settings
Reset Google Chrome
- Open “Google Chrome“, click on Chrome menu.
- Click on “Settings” option from drop down list.
- Go to search box and type RESET.
- Finally click the “Reset” button to complete the process.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- Open “Mozilla Firefox“, click on Firefox menu and on press Help option.
- Select “Troubleshooting Information” option.
- Click on “Refresh Firefox” button from top of page.
- Hit “Refresh Firefox” button when dialog box appear on your computer screen.
Reset Microsoft Edge
- Open your MS Edge browser, click on More (…) icon, and select Settings option.
- Now click on view advanced settings option.
- Press <Add new> option from “Search in the address bar with” option.
- Enter your favorite search engine url and press Add as default.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Open your Internet Explorer browser, click on “Tools” menu and select “Internet Option”.
- Click on “Advance tab” and then hit the “Reset” button.
- Find “Delete Personal Settings” option and press “Reset” Button.
- Finally click on “Close” Button and restart your browser.
Friendly Tips Ignore Viruses – Things To Do After Removing MapsFox
To keep away from MapsFox coming back on your Computer system and to force close similar threats in future, you must follow these essential tips while using your PC:
- Always select the Custom Installation method when you are installing any software or program.
- Uncheck all hidden options and bunched program that you are unknowing of or don’t know.
- Scan all your email attachments before you open them on your computing machine.
- Never download update from untrusted and unknown websites.
- Do not visit adult or porn website.
- Do not click on any misleading advertisements.
- Always scan USB drives before transferring or copying files.
- Scan your PC at regular intervals for hidden virus and malware.